Healthy desserts so often seem like a cliche. I mean dessert isn't healthy...if it was healthy it wouldn't be dessert right?
Enter my new favorite food love...chocolate chip cookie bars. They're vegan and gluten free, full of fiber and protein, low in fat, inexpensive to make and super easy. They're practically the perfect cookie bar. I based them off this vegan cookie pie recipe from my favorite vegan dessert blog. I cut the recipe in half, made a couple small changes, and made them into cookie bars instead. Since you're probably already wondering what ingredients could possibly concoct a healthy dessert I'll jump right to the recipe...
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas) drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 2 tablespoons Very Vanilla Soymilk (or other vanilla flavored milk substitute)
- 1.5 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 generous teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- scant 3/4 cups brown sugar
- scant 1/2 cup chocolate chunks
- Blend all ingredients except chocolate chunks in a food processor until well mixed.
Spray a baking dish (I used a small glass casserole dish) with cooking spray and pour mixture (including chocolate chunks) into dish. Bake on 350 for around 18 minutes.
Tip: I think theses treats are best when they're warm and the chocolate is melted so I microwave them for a few seconds every time I enjoy them.
What are your favorite traditional treats turned healthy?